Home Safety

Is Scotts Turf Builder Safe for Pets? Do Not Miss!

Pets can safely use Scotts Turf Builder fertilizer. Spreading Scotts Turf Builder on your lawn is safe for your dog, other pets, and family members as long as you follow the instructions on the bag. Products that only contain fertilizer, like Turf Builder, don’t endanger your pet because they contain non-toxic ingredients. To suppress or eliminate weeds, some Scotts products, however, combine fertilizer and herbicides. Your pet’s health could be in danger from these products. If you use a fertilizer/herbicide combination, it’s crucial to watch out for your pet even though these products are not fatal.

For more specific information, keep reading.

Is Scotts Turf Builder Toxic?

Both WinterGuard Plus and Scotts Turf Builder with Halts are classified as moderately toxic and can irritate the skin and eyes. On every bag of lawn fertilizer, all of this is added beneath the warning label.

Halts and WinterGuard have high toxicology ratings for risks to fish and aquatic life. WinterGuard is not toxic to any of these species, contrary to Halts, which is mildly toxic to pets, birds, and bees.

Since Scotts Turf Builder fertilizer doesn’t contain any weed killer, it is safe for dogs and doesn’t contain any toxic herbicides. Although, it may burn grass on lawns and plants with its high nitrogen levels

Is Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Safe for Dogs?

As long as you use the Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Sun and Shade Mix product as instructed, it is safe for dogs.

The responsibility for making sure a lawn fertilizer product is pet-safe rests with you. The Scotts products won’t harm your pet when you let your dog back onto your grass if you follow the instructions.

Is Scotts Turf Builder Toxic to Animals?

The vast majority of plant fertilizers are just a mix of potassium, phosphate, and nitrogen. If used properly most of the time, these organic substances don’t harm our pets.

They can, however, seriously harm your dog’s digestive system if consumed in large quantities, which will result in vomiting and diarrhea.

The Turf Builder line of lawn fertilizers is one of the well-known fertilizer products made by Scotts. Concern over fertilizer use on lawns and potential negative effects on pets is a common complaint among pet owners.

What Type of Fertilizer is Toxic to Dogs?

Herbicides and pesticides are added to fertilizers, which makes them less safe than fertilizers without them. On a lawn where dogs are present, however, even fertilizers with herbicide or pesticide additives can be used without risk. If your dog consumes the fertilizer, the typical herbicides in Scotts products could result in vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling in your dog, but these symptoms usually only last for one day.

  • Dogs are more at risk of poisoning from fertilizers with added pesticides or herbicides than from plain fertilizer.
  • It contains herbicide if the fertilizer’s packaging states that it eliminates or prevents weeds.
  • Your fertilizer contains pesticides if it makes the claim that it kills insects.
  • Before allowing your dogs access to the yard, water fertilizers with additives into the soil and let your lawn dry.

Apply the fertilizer, irrigate it into the soil, and allow your lawn to completely dry before your dog can consume or otherwise come into contact with it. Pets are permitted on the lawn once it has dried out. Any fertilizer that has fallen on driveways or sidewalks should be cleaned up. The fertilizer won’t be tempted by curious dogs to taste it, and it won’t wash into the storm drain where it could contaminate the water supply.

Does Scotts Have Pet Friendly Fertilizer?

Pets are welcome to consume Scotts Turf Builder lawn food. Therefore, fertilizing your lawn with regular Scotts products won’t endanger your pets. Just be sure to use pet-friendly lawn products as directed on the label for maximum safety. This means that it’s critical to clean up fertilizer spills and to water fertilizer into the soil as soon as you spread it.

  • A pet-friendly fertilizer is the regular Scotts Turf Builder.
  • To keep your pets safe, strictly abide by the directions on the fertilizer label.
  • Less pet-friendly than pure fertilizer is fertilizer that also eradicates weeds and/or insects.

Avoid Scotts products that contain weed-killing, weed-preventing, or insect-killing components in order to keep your pets as secure as possible. Although these products are not particularly harmful to pets, animals that consume this fertilizer may experience vomiting or diarrhea. Use products made specifically for fertilizer to protect the wellbeing of your pets.

Is Scotts Turf Builder Safe for Pets Do Not Miss!
Is Scotts Turf Builder Safe for Pets? Do Not Miss!

Is Scotts Fertilizer With Halts Safe for Pets?

A herbicide called Scotts Halts can be found in a number of the business’s goods. Crabgrass control is accomplished with it. When used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions, it is typically safe for pets, but there are a few minor risks to be aware of.

Keep your pets inside while you apply the product to ensure that it is safe for them. A good example of this is Scotts Turf Builder plus Halts. Spread out your product as soon as the grass is completely dry. To do this, use the spreader settings that come with the product or the Scotts website.

Halts is another name for pendimethalin. Professional lawn care companies typically wear protective equipment when applying this product. Rest assured that the risks are only present if you are exposed to these ingredients for an extended period of time.

The riskiest group of individuals are those who regularly work with pendimethalin. There is no need to worry if you apply it twice a year.

What If Your Dog Eats Scotts Turf Builder?

For the following 24 hours, your dog may experience vomiting, excessive drooling, or diarrhea if it consumes Scotts Turf Builder straight from the bag. These signs, however, do not have a fatal outcome. As a result, even in the worst case, your pet is still in reasonably good shape.

  • If your dog consumes Scotts Turf Builder granules straight from the bag, it could vomit, drool, or have diarrhea.
  • Your dog won’t die as a result of eating fertilizer’s side effects.
  • The consumption of grass or other plants treated with Scotts Turf Builder by a dog won’t have any negative effects on it.
  • After fertilizer application, water the area to prevent your dog from licking or eating fertilizer granules that have not yet dissolved.

Your dog won’t experience any negative side effects if it eats grass that has been Scotts Turf Builder treated. The fertilizer will be dispersed throughout the ground once it has been watered into the soil, making it practically harmless. Just be sure to water your fertilizer in after applying it. This stops your dog from stepping in fertilizer granules, which it might later lick off its paws.

How Long After Fertilizing Can I Let My Pets Out?

Similar to how kids enjoy playing on grass, so do dogs and other household pets. The best practice is to restrict lawn use after fertilizer application for at least 24 hours, with 48 or even 72 hours being the ideal amount of time to keep your dog away.

Make sure you’re using a weed and feed that’s safe for pets, like Scotts Turf Builder plus Halts. When applying the chemical product, confine your pets to your home.

Use the spreader’s settings properly to ensure that the pet-safe lawn fertilizer is applied and contacts your lawns properly. Apply the fertilizer when the grass is dry.

According to Scotts, it’s not necessary to water in their products right away, and should it stay dry, you can almost immediately let dogs back on the grass without it causing any symptoms upon contact.

You can water the products in to avoid worrying about your dog.

To thoroughly wash the product into the soil, water your grass with the equivalent of 1/4 to 1/2 inch of water.

Before letting any pets outside, let the area completely dry to ensure that no halts are transferred to their paws.

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Scotts Turf Builder?

You can give your dog water and bland food to help them absorb the ingredients if they are drooling, vomiting, or having diarrhea. Take them to the vet if they ate a lot of fertilizer and their symptoms seem to be getting worse.

The consequences that may occur when members of our canine family come into contact with fertilizer chemicals range from mild to severe.

Depending on the duration of exposure and the method used to cause the fertilizer poisoning, complications can include oral burns, gastrointestinal discomfort, or severe toxicities.

If your dog accidentally consumes fertilizer, they may have also ingested potentially hazardous substances in addition to compounds that are toxic when consumed in large quantities.

Final Words

Even though pets are usually safe around lawn fertilizers, it’s important to always be aware of the situation. Look up the ingredients listed on the label to determine whether they are safe. Use only products that are marked as pet-safe. Moreover, follow the manufacturer’s instructions when applying fertilizers.